Wednesday, April 8, 2009

WEDNESDAY

Faith had a rough night. They took her off the Oscillator and put her on a regular vent. She did well at first, but then things started crashing so she is back on the Oscillator. She just wasn't ready.

The other part of the night was that the Vascular surgeon came in and Faith will be losing her feet. We cannot risk infection. Because of the poor circulation and damage, they will more than likely be amputating at about mid-shin down. It sounds awful but it may actually help because then her body doesn't have to try to heal her lower extremeties.

The good news is that Faith was completely opening her eyes this morning!!! She was trying to smile and trying to talk. She was raising her right hand for yes and squeezing our hand for no. It was very exciting!

Right now, she is sedated and has pain medication in her which they did before they messed with her feet. It has got to be very painful and they didn't want to do that to her. She will more than likely be sleeping for quite a few hours, but I am praying she will be opening her eyes again when she wakes up. It was wonderful!

I slept last night and Monty is sleeping right now. I know we have to start thinking about how we are going to manage this long term, but we haven't even had a chance! Dr. Raff said that if things continued going in this direction, that we should expect to be here until at least the end of May. This will be very challenging since we have so many children and extracurricular activities to manage. It is going to take some serious planning and organization. But, how do you complain when it could mean that we would be bringing Faith home?

Thanks to all for all the kind and encouraging words.

8 comments:

  1. Shelly this is great news! Shane and I have been keeping a close watch on the "blog" (or I have been bugging Glenda LOL!)
    We are so happy to hear of Faith's progress!
    She truly is a miracle! We have been sending good thought's your way! Stay strong for Faith, she is an angel! All our love Shane & Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing news that she opened her eyes. God is good...

    Keep fighting Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT A GREAT NEWS !! Waiting for more good news and sending prayers !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was smiling ear to ear when reading about Faith's attempts at communication....that is just wonderful! We are still with you and keeping you in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,I am peter johns grandmother ,i was visiting my family last week ,when renee'told me about faith..... we followed your blogs all week.I am now home in NH and feel so happy for you and your family.ffaith was in my prayers and on my mind since saw her pics. thank you for your strenth and courage!! with parents and family and love nothing is impossible. stay strong ...Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear cousin Shelly and Family,

    I have been following the blog all week, and have even gotten the majority of my friends to look at it, and they all send their love and good wishes. Faith is always in my mind, and in my heart.
    Love everyone and stay strong

    love, Cousin Jennifer Goble

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelly, we are praying so hard for Faith and your family. You and Monty are Gods children doing His work. God bless you all. Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shelley ~ I want to tell you that your Precious Girl is in my Prayers! I know it's scary to think of the amputations, but there are LOTS of things that can be done. I had my left leg amputated below the knee, about 2 yrs. ago and I use a prosthetic leg. Your little girl is so beautiful and if having to use prosthetics to walk will save her life, then give it to God. My Love to you & your family! I'll be following this Journey! Peace! Jo

    ReplyDelete