Sunday, May 24, 2009

DAY 54

More output of blood last night so Peds surg. came this morning to change out her wound-vac and see if they could see any source. When the wound-vac was off, they said that her bowels looked great! They believe the excess blood is coming from the granulation tissue that is forming under the wound-vac. Granulation tissue is new tissue growth...the growth we want to allow her belly to close. When you have a wound that is trying to heal, more blood goes to that area to allow healing. So that was very encouraging news and now we know not to be so concerned. They will have to watch her blood levels closely while this is happening and she may need platelets and blood often, but at least we know why. Phew.

Just found out she does have a strep infection in her blood. They are talking to pharmacy to figure out how to treat it. It is complicated because of her being on dialysis and her liver function. They have to find out the best medication for her to metabolize. Due to this infection, her heart rate is still a bit elevated and her temp is slightly as well.

Everything else remains the same and she is looking better today than yesterday. Mentally I feel a litte better, so will be able to rest better and stay more positive for my little girl that we have nicknamed "fighter faith".

6 comments:

  1. You sound a little better..... We all have Faith in you .... Stay strong, our prayers are with all of you...Barbara and Nick NH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shelly,
    Thinking of you as always, I just read your posts for the last two days, and I completely understand the sleeping issues. When Eric & I left there we donated a portable recliner (you know, the deluxe campers chair), it was pretty comfy, for sure better than nothing, we slept many nights in it. We donated it to the PICU, you should see if it will fit in your baby girls room.
    What blood type is your little fighter? Love, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith is O+. I haven't seen that chair, but I will definitely ask about it!!!! Thanks Tina. And, by the way, I appreciate your support and following of Faith. Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still checking each day and am encouraged to see an overall pattern of healing. I wish I could offer more than prayers from my family to yours. Faith is such a beautiful girl, I feel blessed to know her in some small way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking in on you guys again. Glad to hear things are continuing to move in the right direction, even if it's very slow progress. Let me know if there's anything you need, I'm happy to come by for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Lord, we praise You and thank you for ever new mercies every morning.

    More restful nights for you Shelly and fighter Faith -

    Unceasing in prayer,
    Jackie Lipuma

    ReplyDelete