Thursday, May 7, 2009

DAY 37

Faith is running a fever of 103 and her heart rate is elevated to 195. I suppose it is expected for something like this to happen after such an extensive surgery. Disrupting the bowels creates a lot of bacteria to be released. In fact, they did end up taking out some of the bowel that was damaged and I forgot to post that part yesterday. But...still... I can't help but be an absolute nervous wreck. My anxiety is worse because I am at home. It is extremely difficult to be torn between two places and not know where the right place to be is. My kids at home need me and I have responsibilities to be taken care of here too. In a situation like this, I guess there is no good answer. I'm going to try to get some things done here (like pay bills) and I will call Monty and see what is happening afterwards and make a choice at that point. Maybe luck will be in our favor and they will have the fever under control by then. I'll let you know.

UPDATE: Fever is down to 100.4 and heart rate is down to 160. So, improvement from this morning. (sigh of relief). I think I gained 10 pounds just in one day at home eating for comfort and out of nervousness! To help you understand what it has been like in the PICU is that Nurses that have been working at the hospital for 20 years, do not remember a time when things were this crazy with so many REALLY sick kids. Since we have been there, 5 children have passed away. That is a lot when we have only been there 37 days. When we watch things like that happen around you, it increases your own stress and concern. When you are not with your sick child...it increases your stress and concern. However, I did have a nice day with the kids at home and am grateful for the time with them. They, too, are extremely strong...just like Faith. I have so much admiration for all of them. I am a very proud mommy.

11 comments:

  1. We are praying for little Faith every minute of every day. Faith has touched us all. Take care of yourself and your family! We love you all very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunty Shelly!! It Athene and my friends here!! Weare all supporting Faith, I love Faith and Hate to see her in this condition, hope you all doing well and I love you all, with all my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, you are doing such a hard thing. You're right, there is no good solution to dividing your time when you can't all be together. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No easy road for Faith's recovery is there? I have Faith in my thoughts, prayers, and heart. Hoping for the best for you and your family. It is a difficult thing trying to divide the time and to feel ok about it, you're both doing a wonderful job. You have a very blessed family Shelly, surrounded by a lot of love. Take care always, with love, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shelly, I don't know how you do it! What an emotional roller coaster ride you are on. I wish I could trade places with you for a day so you could have a break. I understand how difficult it is when you want to be in two places at once. Just keep doing the best you can. As always, we are praying for Faith and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all so brave, with all the strenth you and Monty have ,I just know the children are as strong!!! Just look at Faith!!!! Our prayers and more prayers.. Barbara and Nick. NH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelly, Monty and kids:

    I just want to tell you that all of you are awesome! I wish every child could be blessed with a loving family like yours. I am glad Faith is doing better and pray for her continued recovery.

    Lynne B

    ReplyDelete
  8. michelle madduxThursday, 07 May, 2009

    Shelly,
    So glad to hear the bleeding issue is resolved and that her fever and heart rate have both come down! I feel for you every minute of every day. No words that I can express even begin to touch your pain, but please know you and your family are in my thoughts. Stay Strong!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KEEP FAITH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're all in our thoughts and prayers!! We love you!

    Lisa Froling

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shelly -
    We continue to pray for Faith and for all of you! Try to tackle one day at a time, and sometimes just one hour at a time so you can get through. Look to the Lord for strength, comfort and peace - He is the great giver of all of these things. Call if you want a listening ear or someone to pray with you.

    Love, Anissa
    371-3083

    ReplyDelete