Monday, May 11, 2009

DAY 41

Today they are going to try to wean Faith off the oscillator. Faith's co2 levels have been stable, so we will hopefully get her back on the regular vent by tonight or tomorrow. All of her labs have been good and she has been very alert over the past couple of days. Liver levels are dropping, which is a good thing, so it is looking like the stent is helping! We still have a lot to work on, like maintaining blood pressure levels, extubating, closing her stomach, amputation, etc....but, lets hope we can maintain a slow, but steady pace. It is Faith, however, so I guess we always have to be prepared for a U-turn, but I am really praying she will allow us to breathe easier from this point on.

I had a very nice mother's day, although it was the first one without my mom. However, I got to spend it with most of my favorite people: my dad, my aunt and uncle, all my kids (minus Faith), my cousin Nicole and her hubby AND 2 month old baby...Taylor Judith Reilly....who is ADORABLE and looks just like her daddy, and my best friend and her family. We had a nice time.

It made me reflect, though, on how lucky I was to have my mom and how I really do feel like we end up exactly where we are supposed to go. My mom couldn't have children, so God found a way to get me to her. I KNOW we were meant to be together. Just like Lacey, Andrew and Faith were meant to be mine.

Adoption is such a special gift. Whether a birth family decides to unselfishly give their child to someone who can provide better for them or the state decides on behalf of a child that they deserve better....adoption is all about love in some form.

People have asked me how I can love a child that is not mine. All I can think is....how could you not????? And, guess what, they ARE mine! They were meant to be mine they just had to get to me through another way.

I am so grateful for adoption because of the fact that I got to be raised by the greatest woman ever. She was compassionate, loving, smart, funny, selfless and had a zest for life beyond compare. It is a tribute to her and the love she gave me that I have adopted as well. Adoption is one of God's greatest gifts. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY JUDY MOON!!!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful tribute to your mom! Happy to hear that little Faith is behaving! I know it must of been hard not having her with you but the fact that she has over come yet another obstacle is a blessing. You and Faith are two very strong women! Hugs to both of you!

    P.s. Shelly-I have to apologize-I offered through HOH to bring you a meal on Saturday- but me and several of my children have a cough with fever. I tried to find another family member or friend that was available to cover for me but no one was available. I did not want to bring germs into the hospital. I am so sorry. I promise to make this up to you as soon as we are healthy....

    Lynne B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Very Glad Faith's condition is stabilizing today. And, though I don't know you, I have a feeling Faith has a lot of her mom in her - good thing. Praise God for His Omniscience.

    With love and unceasing prayer for His little one and yours,
    Jackie Lipuma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne- Not a problem. I completely understand. Just the fact that you volunteered at all means a lot. Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly said Shelly - thanks for sharing about adoption!

    ~Anissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly,
    I know this mothers day had to be hard in so many ways since it's the first with out your mom. Your mom never thought of you as her adopted daughter but a blessing that an other individual gave her. The greatest gift that god and life could have ever offer a beautiful, intelligent, determined, loving and compassionate daughter. I see in you all the wonderful traits your mom possessed. Faith has these same blessed traits in her. I'm blessed to have two magnificient daughters myself but I will always think of you as my third daughter and I'm just as proud of you as I'm of them. All my love and prayers. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad you had the opportunity to be with your family for Mother's Day. Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a couple of days late, but happy mothers day to you :). Glad to hear that the stent is working. I know that it's a long journey, but please know that you're NOT alone. Thanks for sharing your story about your mom....it made me cry. Love and prayers from the Burrier's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, by the way, I love your family portraits. Thanks for posting them. You HAVE a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great day. adoption is a fantastic event!! My Mother gave a gift to some special people years ago,and I mete my sister when we were both in our 30's. this was also her childrens first Mothers Day with out her. We havr alot in common. Adoption,Faith,My grandson Peter,also my daughter Renee' has part of Faith's name. We are Truly were we are suppose to be. prayers Barbara and Nick. NH.

    ReplyDelete