Sunday, July 12, 2009

July 12th, 2009

Today has been a year since my mom passed. So much has happened this past year and I am sitting here having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Two of my most favorite people I have met in my life are gone. Gone.

I mean, how did this all happen? Why? What the heck are my life lessons? Life is extremely complicated and there is no way to figure it out.

I have been told that the pain will lesson with time, but I have to be honest that is really not happening yet. Not with either of the one's I have lost. I was extremely connected in a strong way to both of them. In a way I feel very lucky to have had such deep love with them, but it also makes their loss harder because it leaves such a huge void in my everyday life. My mom and Faith were part of my EVERYDAY life.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of them. With Faith....I don't think even a minute goes by. I have her ashes in a necklace and I HAVE to wear it or I freak out. That is my way of having her as close to me as I can get her and it gives me comfort.

Monty has gone back to work, but I am home with the kids. I think Monty being out of the house, is coping pretty well. He has something to do everyday and is not in this house all day long with memories around him everywhere. It is not so easy for me trying to be here, trying to keep a "game" face on for the kids at home and give them all the attention they deserve when sometimes I don't even want to face the day. Morning comes and I don't really want to get up because I don't have Faith and I don't have my best friend, my mom, to call and cry to. The solace in that is that hopefully they are taking care of each other which is more important that my feelings.

But, my life has changed so dramatically and I am very lost. I don't know where to go from here. I am trying to pour my attention into everyone at home, but school starts in the middle of August...and then what? I can't stay home all day long without Faith. So, those are personal things that I will have to figure out on my own. Maybe those initial days of quiet I can find some time to really reflect on that. Reflect on what I see myself doing from this point on. I know it has to have something that has meaning. That helps a person/s in some way. I have the paperwork to be a volunteer at UCD, which I would LOVE to do, but I don't know when I will be ready to walk in there again. So many memories, but I would love to and someday I will have to try to go in and try to face the emotion and fear. Hospital life, especially at UCD, has been my life for 5 years and strangely I miss it. So, volunteering there and spending time with the great staff and children there would (I think) renew my spirit when I feel up to it. That may be my way to give back to Faith and I am pretty sure my mom would be proud of me as well.

So, today is just a hard one because of that year mark and reflecting on a lot of things. I miss my mom. I miss Faith. I hope they are at peace and that eventually I can find some of that peace, too, and bring back some of my happiness they took a little bit of when they left. Special girls they are. Both probably taking over up there in Heaven with their ultra amazing personalities! Both of those girls had such a love for life, music, people, dance..........Heaven is certainly a brighter place.

Shelly
- Love you Mamacita. Miss you very, very much. And, Faithy, oh...man...you know mommy loves you and misses you all the time. Take care my special ones and save me a place right next to you BOTH!

9 comments:

  1. My heart is I honestly have no words that I think will make you feel better. I think you are strong, and you are doing so well, even if every minute is a struggle. All your emotions, thoughts, and feelings seem very normal for what you have been through. I hope you can at least take comfort in knowing that you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Shelly.
    Anniversaries of a loss are so difficult! I'm so sorry you have to go through the dark journey of grieving two people you love dearly.
    Our prayers are with you and Monty.
    love,
    Laurie Jennings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think volunteering in the future is an excellent idea! You could pass your strength and courage to other families. Another person mentioned about the possibility of you writing a book, you have excellent writing skills and I could see that working. You are an amazing person and I know that eventually something positive will come out of this.

    Lynne B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly, I've started and erased so many posts...your losses and the pain you're going through are so brutal that I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry and sad. Wish I could wrap you in comfort even for a short while. I know you have touched untold lives with your writings as you shared yourself, your mom, and Faith with us. May the words you write also help you find a way through this and give you the comfort you so richly deserve. Mary Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly,
    I can relate to your feelings of loss, grief, overwhelming confusion and hurt. You can contact me through www.elijahslegacy.blogspot.com/ or www.elijahslegacy.ning.com/ anytime and I will be glad to personally talk with you or just listen. Contact me and I'll give you my personal info.
    It has been 2 years since I lost my best friend, my dad, and almost 8 months now since Elijah joined him in Heaven.June 13 my father-in -law also suddenly joined them.(Although NOTHING compares to losing Elijah) I KNOW this road you are on. My heart grieves with you.
    Michelle Greggs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking in to say hello, Shelly. I hope and pray that each day you find it easier to smile, laugh, and enjoy. I second what Lynne said, you would make a fantastic volunteer, so inspiring.

    Take care sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelly,words are difficult and you have heard all the comforting words from all who care and love you and your family. I started reading your blog while I was visiting my Family in Ca. Tears come to my eyes when you Talk about how much you miss Faith and your Mom. I only see Renee and Peter once or twice a year,but we talk on the phone many times a day.It is devastating ,just the thoughts of hot hearing thier voices. I can't imagine how you feel!! "KEEP THE FAITH"and HOPE will Follow. Prayers and more Prayers Barbara and Nick. NH>

    ReplyDelete
  8. To the Duarte family-I was thinking of all of you and thought I would let you know that! Also Shelley-I am trying to put together one of these blog pages and am not doing too well! You have done such a nice job on this page that I might be asking for help! I'll sign off with a hug and check back in soon. Hugs!

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly,

    I just found your blog and am glad you're able to express some of your feelings by writing. It can definitely be therapeutic. I am sorry we didn't hear of Faith's passing in a more timely fashion; I would have liked to come to the service, as I'm sure Annie would have. Please know that you and your family are in our prayers and although I know we haven't been close, I hope you know you can talk to me if you ever need to reach out. God bless you all.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete