Friday, June 5, 2009

June 5, 2009

Just wanted everyone to know that we are tentatively aiming for the weekend of June 27th or 28th for Faith's service. I am waiting for the Pastor that I respect to give me times that he is available that weekend and then I will post confirmation. I will ask for RSVP's to be able to somewhat prepare for how many will be in attendance.

As for this week....let me tell you that it has been extremely difficult. However, I have learned with the passing of my mother not even a year ago, that we are still in a stage of denial and have yet to feel the full devastation of Faiths passing. We are walking around in a fog and don't really know what to do with ourselves.

The night Faith passed away, Monty and I felt like we wanted to stay down in Sacramento because we were not sure we could come home and see all the reminders of our baby girl. However, after 15 minutes of being somewhere other than home, we knew it was not the right thing. In fact, I was about to have a full blown panick attack. So, we packed our stuff up and came home to see our other children. Let me tell you...this was the best decision we could have made. Our other kids are so strong and have so much insite into the world that THEY are helping US with our grief! They are amazing and I am very lucky to have them in our lives. They are what will help us move forward from this terrible loss!

Our home is not the same, nor will it ever be. Now, we have to accept the differences as hard as that may be. Our life has been almost entirely centered around Faith and her well-being and now we have to shift our thinking into making the other children the ultimate center. They have earned it 100%, but it is hard to completely do so when you are grieving the loss of someone so special. Grieving the loss of someone who made us all feel unique and could turn a bad day into a great one with a smile or the shouting out of our name as we walked through the door. We have learned so much from her and her ability to perservere under any circumstance. We are more united as a family because of Faith.

I have been working on a memorial card/keepsake for her and I just can't find the right thing that sums up who she was. How do you explain someone that had so many setbacks yet still had the power to love unconditionally? How do you explain the power of a small little person that was able to teach us life's big lessons.......how to love, how to care, how to laugh, how to perservere through adversity, and how to never give up????? Faith taught us so many of life's lessons, big and small, that we will carry with us forever. Monty and I are better human beings because of her. My kids are more compassionate, understanding and accepting individuals because of her.
Those are things you cannot teach through words but must be learned through life's lessons.

What I pray for the most is that my other children become better human beings because of having Faith in our lives. I think this will make it worthwhile. I want to see my kids live by the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have done unto you. I think we all get that now. Because, it doesn't matter how big or small your contribution to society is....it all means something. I am pretty sure the other kids get it, lets just see if they prove it when all of lifes trials and tribulations are thrown at them.

Faith was a child that no one else wanted. They called us in desperation and eventhough the ending wasn't what we hoped for...we still do not regret our decision. It was meant to be and I believe someday it will be fully shown to us what it was all for. Until then....I will wait for my beautiful child to be shown to me at the Pearly Gates of Heaven. I am no longer afraid of death and embrace the day it comes. Until then, I have realized the importance of making a difference in even ONE person's life. It DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Live life by the Golden Rule and never think that anything you say or do doesn't impact someone. You never know....

Until I unite with Faith again, this will be her legacy for me. I will live my life in her honor. I will live my life showing her strength, courage and the ability to love and have hope through all obstacles. Until then....she is my strength.

I will let you all know when the service is set for. Love to all and remember that it is not the length of a life but the depth of a life.

Shelly Duarte. Mother of a new, bright angel of God: Faith Renee Duarte. 1/17/04-6/1/09.
Forever our Motto will be to "Keep Faith". (without it all hope is lost.)

11 comments:

  1. Shelly,

    Thank you for sharing. Faith was truly an amazing child. Please remember that Faith was who she was in no small part because of who you and your family are. You have already lived your life with strength, courage, unconditional love and abundant hope. As demonstrated by the comments seen on this blog, you have touched the lives of a great number of persons. You and Faith have impacted my life forever.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly,
    I can't tell you how devastated I was to read of your loss. Oh how I prayed that you guys wouldn't have to experience what we did. Isn't it amazing though, how our perspectives change. Death no longer holds fear over us. It's amazing how the tables turn. We spent so much time fighting to bring our little girls home with us, and now I'm confident they're helping to make sure that we make it Home to them...our true home. We love you guys and pray for you as you find your new normal with your family. We would love to come to the service.
    Love, Mike and Laura Bouck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your post gave me goosebumps and tears. Faith will always be remembered and you truly were blessed to have her.
    Much love from another heart Mom
    Suzy
    (Tanners mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know you but hear your message loud and clear!! Keep Faith! Keep Faith! Keep Faith!! Your words will touch so many people today. Your trust and faith in God will touch so many people forever. I know they did for me today. I will forever be changed by your unending faith and your perspective on how we have nothing to fear in death. Thank you Thank you Thank you and God Bless you!!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have thought about all of you through out the week and I have cried several times. I told my kids about Faith as they have been following her story too and they were pretty broken apart. We named Faith as their guardian angel, now when the youngest go to bed, they say their prayers and also say good night to their angel Faith. Shelly and Monty-Please tell me anything I can do to help your family. 916-904-4306.

    Lynne B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly,

    My daughter is only 3 months old, and I cannot imagine the devastation I would feel if I were to lose her. The impact that such a small person has in a parent's life isn't something that can ever be explained until a person actually becomes a parent. Your compassion and ability to love so completely and unconditionally is truly inspiring, as you CHOSE to love this little girl despite her setbacks. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

    When a good friend of mine passed a few years back, I found a passage that seemed to ecompass what he had meant to me. It seems fitting for the impact that Faith has had on your family (and so many others)..."Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same".

    Thank you for sharing your story with so many.

    -Laura Jaeggi

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have checked this site every day since Faith's passing,Hoping to find you there. Such an empty feeling not being able to share your Faith and your family since you all became a part of our lives. We can't imagine how you all must feel. You all gave us courage and strenth thur Faith,s jouney,now we have Faith and Hope, we are truly inspired because of your Faith and Hope. Keep Faith!!!! Prayers and more Prayers .Barbara and Nick. NH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shelly,

    I know nothing I say will relieve any of your pain, but I will try to put into words my thoughts. I too have adopted my medically fragile children. At placement, the rule is "do not get attached". We know that is not possible. Our children are so alone and fragile (medically and emotionally) when they come to us and we give them our love, our prayers and our "Faith" and we can't help but bond and love them so deeply. They become not only part of our family, but they become part of your heart and soul. Faith was not put into your home by a County Social Worker. She was place there by God for his purpose. I believe no one else could have given Faith what you and your family gave her while she was here on earth. You gave her Jesus. You gave her "Faith". You gave her love unconditional. Through your Faith, she came to know God, his grace, and his love. And now, He is enjoying the fruits of your labor. My prayers are with your family. If you need anything please contact Valerie B. and she will give you my phone number. Call me.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you've written a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl right here. Faith has touched my life deeply, as has your entire family. Praying for courage and strength to get you through each day and the peace that comes only from God.
    Love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second Andrea - what a beautiful tribute you've written for your Faith right here. She was with you by divine appointment - praise God - He sure knows who to pick and I understand the blessing was full circle. Thank you for sharing the hope we have in Christ. Faith's life continues to impact, impart, teach and inspire all of us as we carry her story and her memory in our hearts. I can only hope and pray to leave such a legacy of love and hope.

    May God bless and keep you all. He is exalted by your faith.

    Continuing in prayer for you and the family,
    Jackie Lipuma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Duarte Family,
    I don't know you personally, but your story touched me and my six and sixteen year old daughters. My little six year old put it simply, "Now she's an angel, mommy"...We are deeply sorry for your loss, but we know you'll see her again someday.

    Heather, Cassidy and Mia Van Meter

    ReplyDelete