Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11, 2009

We went on another family trip this past weekend. This time was a bit easier even though we went to Faith's favorite place....San Francisco! Faith had numerous medical appointments in San Francisco and we would always make it an overnight thing so we could take our time. She loved to go to the Pier and watch the seals, which she called aarh, aarh's. Everytime we went through a tunnel, we had to yell "Yipee!". So, it is a place that holds a lot of memories.

However, we did really well! I am proud of all of us!!! Our first day in San Fran, we went to Alcatraz. The kids seemed bored with the exception of Andrew who was nervous. If you know Andrew...you will understand. :) The kids loved the boat ride, but Alcatraz itself was boring to them. When the tour was complete, we went to the Pier and watched the Aarh, aarh's and thought about Faith. We ate at our favorite restraunt afterwards, Bubba Gumps, and had a really nice surprise...we had a view of the ocean and 3 dolphins were jumping right in our view!!! A present from my mom and Faith?????

The following day went through the tour of Winchester Mystery House. Everyone LOVED that!!! Dominic was really interested and asked really good questions to the tour guide. (most of the questions were better than questions other adults were asking, I might add). After that, we had a late lunch that served as dinner and were on our way home. It was a quick, nice get-a-way.

This next weekend is our last open weekend before football games. I think we will spend it at home, relaxing around the pool and BBQing! Football season is long and because I am the Cheer Coordinator, even longer. I will need to be there from 10am all the way until the last game ends around 7 or 8. LONG DAY!!! But, football season is fun and I am glad we have the distraction. There are great people involved in the organization and it has been fun getting to know them.

The previous football season's, Monty was the one involved and I would stay at home with Faith and Karen. I think most people barely even knew who I was! So, this is bittersweet: fun to finally make friends, but at the same time...knowing why I can finally make them. However, I am trying to learn to embrace my NEW normal as challenging as that is. What else do you do? I know I am setting an example for my children of how to face life's curveballs and I take that seriously. It is a lot easier to curl up in a ball and shut the world out than to draw from your inner strength and rise to the occasion. My kids are rising to this challenge in an incredibly beautiful way. I actually draw courage from them. As much as I want to be with Faith, I also know I need to carry out my mission of being the mother to these AMAZING kids who show me the meaning of inner beauty and strength everyday!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Glad to hear everyone is enjoying what's left of summer! SF is one of my most favorite places, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your summer ,some what. Time does seem to pass,but at the same time stays still. Keep the "FAITH". Enjoy today!!! Barbara and Nick. N.H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to hear you had a good time in SF! I can't wait to go in September..Just stopped by to say hello and see what you all were up to..Have a good week!

    Lynne B

    ReplyDelete